The monitorial system of education was introduced to Ireland in 1811 by the Kildare Place Society.
Catherine McAuley started a training school for women teachers at her Baggot Street Convent in the early 1830s.
This training school was officially recognised in 1883 and later transferred to Carysfort College, Blackrock,Dublin.
The Church of Ireland Training College (Kildare Place)also trained women teachers.
The Irish National Teachers' Organisation was founded in 1868 for the promotion of education in Ireland.